RFI

Re: [RFI] Street lights

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Street lights
From: Patrick Dyer <pjdyer@swbell.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 09:41:26 -0600
In Feb 1996 I had some cycling RFI noise, strongest on 21-MHz, that primarily was daytime-only coming from my w.n.w.. I used a 30-50 MHz portable (Allied A-2586) with a 27-MHz rubber duckie antenna on it to localize it to an area some 3000' from my QTH. Then using a 4-el section of what was an 11-el 2-m Cushcraft Yagi on a Radio Shack Jetstream Mini it was narrowed down to a pole (near a street intersection) with a broken (shot out?) light.
Silvercrest and Callaghan on the west edge of this map
http://www.qsl.net/wa5iyx/images/satx_qth.gif

If I needed any more confirmation, a cycling acoustic noise emanating from up the pole matched the RFI perfectly. The power company fixed it within a few days. It was in a area with no adjacent/close residences (and somewhat redundant nearby street lighting) so less likely to be promptly noticed/reported by others. I doubt that I would have considered that area very "safe" to have gone RDFing there on foot in the dark!

Pat - WA5IYX
http://www.qsl.net/wa5iyx/index.html