RFI

Re: [RFI] shopping for toroids

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] shopping for toroids
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 13:04:02 -0800
On 12/1/2013 12:41 PM, David Cole wrote:
I also would be interested!  If you are making a group order please let me
know...

This is something that needs to be organized with one or more local clubs. The reason is shipping costs and breakage in shipping if they are not packed well. I've never seen breakage in full boxes packed by Fair-Rite at the factory, but that's not true of those packed by others. Also, the COST of shipping is very high as a percentage of the cost of the part for small quantities, but relatively small for full boxes shipped by ground.

An appendix in k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf includes a worksheet to help decide how many pieces of various sizes of parts to order. Once you know how many of each part you are going to order, you simply go to the Fair-Rite website, select the tab for getting quotations from a distributor, and get them from at least three for full box quantities. My best quotation this time around was from Dexter Magnetics near Chicago, Kreiger (in VA) was next, and Mouser was high (by a lot).

73, Jim K9YC