RFI

Re: [RFI] LED Christmas Light RFI -> LED lead corrosion

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] LED Christmas Light RFI -> LED lead corrosion
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 21:58:39 -0600
Now THIS is interesting. Up until now, I have used the classic series strings and have always suspected that corrosion occurred during storage. Yet, I could never find much evidence of corrosion because the lamp leads are copper and the socket material is brass.

I recently replaced incandescent lamps in my amplifier meters with white LEDs. As I was cleaning up, I noticed to my astonishment that the clipped parts of the LED leads are magnetic. I remembered thinking that whatever they were, they sure were surprisingly tough to cut... If the leads are some sort of ferrous material (likely mild steel) that has been copper plated and then tinned to make soldering easier, the corrosion you see is easily explained.

It's also interesing that they depend on the (poor) PIV ratings of the LED series string for string AC operation. If this is how they manage the LED strings, then these will be very RF quiet though they may not last long as outdoor lights if this is the common construction practice.

Kim N5OP