RFI

Re: [RFI] Autopsy on a Lutron dimmer

To: Charlie Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Autopsy on a Lutron dimmer
From: Dale <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 09:32:05 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
Charlie,

Thanks for the comments.  Getting some inside info like that is excellent
(except for stock trading, of course!) and tends to lend some credence to the
performance that users have observed.  BTW: Yes, components and techniques used
to reduce erratic operation or to improve protection from line surges and
transients will, in most cases, reduce emissions, too.

I should also mention that I have a partial error in my original posting: I
said that the .01 mfd cap is likely in  series with the inductor.  I think it
is electrically in series with the inductor, but NOT in series with the load.
The inductor is surely in series with the load because it is wound with what
appears to be #20 or #18 AWG magnet wire.  Without pulling the unit totally
apart, I believe that one end of the cap is between the load and inductor (or
line and inductor - it depends upon which lead the user connects to whichever
wire in the wall box) and the other end goes to the other user connection.

I guess that's what I get for filing late night autopsy reports.

73, Dale
WA9ENA