RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI in the news

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI in the news
From: Patrick Dyer <pjdyer@swbell.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 20:23:20 -0600
What an illegal CATV tap c. 30' from my TV antenna looked like on Ch 4 (our local, KMOL, was off for this but you can imagine the zero-beat QRM that it caused!) - from Sept 1983. http://qsl.net/w/wa5iyx/images/833311.jpg I also could get fair images of Cubs Baseball on their WGN egress.

The cable tech guy "fixed" it by changing out the 4-port feed in their backyard to a 3-port. It was all likely just radiation from some 300-ohm twin lead that they had connected to the coax in the house. The gal there had the nerve to tell the tech that I was causing THEM TVI (and who else from my ingress into the CATV node through their illegal tap ?)

This was before Texas had enacted any "theft of services" statutes to cover such CATV taps so no prosecution was possible back then. The renters were evicted a month later (probably for unrelated reasons).

73, Pat - WA5IYX