RFI

Re: [RFI] LED Bulbs

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] LED Bulbs
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 12:11:37 -0800
On 2/10/2014 11:57 AM, EDWARDS, EDDIE J wrote:
Just FYI.  Automatic light timers can also generate noise all by themselves.
We had one my wife bought for our Christmas lights that made noise all over the
HF bands.

Remember that common mode chokes formed by winding a suitable number of turns of the radiating cable through a #31 or #43 Fair-Rite core can suppress much of this trash. In this sort of application, I would choke both the 120V and LV DC lines, following the guidelines in http://k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf Radiation of the differential mode component can be significantly reduced by using twisted pair for both 120V and LV DC lines.

73, Jim K9YC