RFI

[RFI] DSP for a noisy environment

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] DSP for a noisy environment
From: wa3afs@nycap.rr.com
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 13:05:28 -0500
I am the Regional SKYWARN Coordinator for the NWS, Albany NY which serves 4
states, 19
counties.  Mountains prevent much access via UHF/VHF and we want to be able to
communicate without IRLP, etc if there is something major.  Also HF access to
other NWS
stations would be nice.

At this point, HF (80 and 40 meters) is totally unusable due to RF hash likely
generated by
plasma monitors, computers, miscellaneous weather equipment, and nearby 'stuff'
from the
Nanolabs that are in the same building and surrounding buildings.  (Can't
change the
environment)

We presently have an older Ten-Tec that has no DSP and are now searching for
something
better.

Any suggestions for a modern rig that is:
*   Probably less than about $2000 or so (I have no idea how much funding we
will have...it
    may even be less)
*   Easy to use by operators that may have little or no experience with HF rigs
*   Great DSP to cut through the hash
*   Built-in antenna tuner would be nice, but we do have a small LDG tuner
already.  Antenna
    is an off-center fed dipole.