RFI

Re: [RFI] Icom Switching Power Supplies

To: Leonard Halvorsen <lhalvors@pppl.gov>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Icom Switching Power Supplies
From: Dale <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 10:27:18 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Leonard,

I use an Astron SS-30M, which is very RF-quiet.  There have been reports of
other switchers, notably those in the base of CFLs, creating a noise increase
prior to failure.  You may very well be correct about component aging, but the
actual issue could be more serious.  Do you have any means to measure the
temperature of the switching device (transistor or FET) itself?

A very key part of flyback topology switcher design is the snubber network.
Where/when used, they keep the peak voltage across the switch from exceeding
the rating of the switch device.  Changes in value from either use or heating
can lead to more heating (due to greater losses) or switch failure (due to lack
of the snubber).  Not all switchers use the flyback topology, but many do.  A
very long time ago, I had first hand experience with snubber failure in some
high power (10 kW) switchers - not nice, unless you like fireworks at close
range!

If you are able to get a temp sensor on or near the switch device, please be
careful, as they typically have around 300 volts DC on them and they are
referenced to the incoming AC power line.  Good luck, and please let us know if
you find anything.  Last minute thought: if you open up the PS-25, be sure to
inspect solder joints.  A poor solder connection, especially in the snubber
circuit or switching circuit, will cause more heating and problems.

73, Dale
WA9ENA