RFI

Re: [RFI] Grow-light..

To: mstangelo@comcast.net, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Grow-light..
From: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 09:34:48 -0700
On 28 Mar 2014 at 16:04, mstangelo@comcast.net wrote:

> Ken,
>
> Since you can see the lights does the RFI stop when they are turned off?
>
> Mike N2MS

No.

Yesterday, I went up to the house, all the residents being at work, and
walked up to within 5 feet of the lights. They are 4 regular 4' long
flourescent
tubes in a single fixture hanging over a long tray of various what look like
tomato seedlings.

I took along a portable communications receiver which I had tuned to the
frequency in the 80 meter band where I find the peak of the noise. I listened
with the BFO both on and off and in AM. As I approached the lights, the
noise did not change nor become stronger nor weaker.

Those lights are NOT the source of "my" noise.

My next step is to drop back to less sophisticated equipment, one of Tom's
unshielded loops and the FT-890, and to go on a more thorough, more time
consuming hunt.

So far, from the discussion on this forum, I am convinced that "my" noise is
definitely "grow-light" related, and what ever it is, it is very strong, and
most
probably not immediately near by.

I am getting both more frustrated, and even more ticked off by this
garbage...which appears to be getting slowly worse as time goes by.

Again, thank you all for the very good advice and suggestions.

vy 73,

Ken W7EKB