RFI

Re: [RFI] Broadcast station RFI Mixing

To: Rich Hallman - N7TR <rich@n7tr.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Broadcast station RFI Mixing
From: "Dale J." <dj2001x@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 02:14:59 -0500
I have a similar situation here, two radio stations one about a mile and is
10KW with the pattern North covering the entire Twin City area, the other
station is about 8 miles is a 50 KW station.  The 50 is on 1.130 Khz, the 10 is
on 1.330, both yak-yak stations (talk stations, yuk).  The mix is on 3.790 I
can hear a strong 3rd harmonic on 3.990 from the 10.  It comes and goes
depending on the season, and weather.  I think it might have something to do
with the phone lines around here, loose connections or poor grounding
something.

I have contacted the 10 Kw station manager and he said they would have their
engineer check out the system, this was a few years ago.  I believe these
smaller stations use consulting engineers now and have no engineer on duty,
plus everything is remoted, all operational parameters can be seen on a
computer screen somewhere distant.  I don't believe it's the stations fault,
but overhead wiring, phone, cable etc.  This problem is not nearly as bad as
the plasma TV so it's not causing near the problem for my operation.  Both
stations switch power at night and the interference is at a low level even
during the day and only on 80 m. band.

The 50 Kw station on 1.130 used to be WDGY (A very long history) and only about
a half mile from me, I never had any problem with it then.  Some years ago it
changed hands and moved several miles South and it's call letters changed to
WFAN, sports talk.  I don't know what there is to talk about sports 24/7, must
get awful boring for those on air talents, hi.  I think they use some heavy
compression because I can hear breathing between syllables, but don't know that
for fact.

Be sure the mixing or rectification is not in your own shack or antenna system.

GL
Dale, k9vuj