RFI

Re: [RFI] Looking for low-RFI high efficiency lighting

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Looking for low-RFI high efficiency lighting
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2014 23:10:29 -0700
On 7/7/2014 10:20 PM, Kelly Johnson wrote:
Since this is a brand new kitchen, I may have more options than just
looking for low-RFI bulbs.  All of the electrical will be getting done from
scratch.  Are there things others have done in their new construction to
use high efficiency lighting without an increase in RFI?  I'm looking for
known solutions.  I'm looking for people that have actually installed
things that work.

Now that I understand your application, I have more suggestions. There's a vendor (Wired Communications) of LED lighting in various forms, including strips, that exhibits at Pacificon and Visalia. They run on a wide range of voltage, are pretty efficient, and put out a lot of light. My shack is 12VDC from solar power, and I'm lighting it for routine operation with four of their strips with a total current draw of 1.25A. Give them more volts and they'll draw less current. You would, of course, want more in a kitchen than what I used, but you get the idea. The strips work very well for under cabinet lighting, and I have four of them on the ceiling to do my shack lighting. My neighbor, W6GJB, has used them in the under-cabinet configuration in his shack. Very nice.

I'm getting the 12V from the batteries charged by the solar cells, but it's easy to run the lights from a generic wall wart. One thing I've done to reduce RFI in my place is to replace all switch mode power supplies with old linear wall warts. I buy them cheap at ham fests (you call them swap meets out here), typically a buck apiece or less. I've got a box full. One or more of those wall warts will run one to four strips of lights, depending on the wall wart voltage and current rating. The strips have built-in regulators that adjust the current to drive the LEDs depending on the DC volts. The same vendor also sells nice connectorized inline switches. I remove some of the connectors and install Power Poles.

73, Jim K9YC