RFI

Re: [RFI] RF getting into 4-port wirelss router.

To: "Wes Attaway \NN5WA\"" <wesattaway@bellsouth.net>, RfI@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RF getting into 4-port wirelss router.
From: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 21:04:34 -0800
On 11 Jan 2015 at 22:35, Wes Attaway (N5WA) wrote:

> It seems to me that something other than the CAT-5 cable and/or router is at
> fault.  As a general rule, I have never found CAT-5 to be very sensitive to RF
> ingress.

Me either. I was an IT professional for over 30 years. I SUSPECT that it is
coming in via the AC line, NOT the CAT-5.

> Are you using some kind of cheap CAT-5 or maybe something that has poor
> quality connectors or wires that aren't twisted properly?

Nope. Top quality cable.

>  What about a
> name-brand router like a Linksys,

Had one. Failed after a year.

> D-Link,

Tried that one: failed after a year.

> or AT&T wireless/wired
> modem/router?

The DSL modem has worked flawlessly ever since we put it in. It is a Westel
provided to us by Frontier.

> Network cable that isn't properly constructed with the required twisting of
> wire
> pairs could introduce major RF problems.

Yes. I am quite aware of that.

> I know all stations have different situations, but I have run high and low
> power off and on for many years with numerous routers and computers and
> CAT-5 cables located within a foot or two of transmitters and have never had a
> problem with anything.

Lucky you. :-)

> I think there is something going on other than CAT5/router issues.

I agree. I think it is getting into the router through the AC line.

>  What
> about the house wiring, your coax connector soldering, station grounding?
> Do you notice any other RFI ill-effects other than the CAT5/router issues?

For some time, I HAD constant trouble with the GFCI which is in the circuit
which feeds the washing machine in the basement. less than 15 feet from
my station, would trip every time I was on 40 meters. It hasn't done that for a
couple of years now, though, ever since I put in what I consider to be a
proper ground.

The piping from the city water main is plastic, Even so, the ioncompetent
jackasses (a couple of geology students) who did some modification to the
wiring in this house before we bought it connected the panel ground to an
interior copper pipe which was connected to the plastic main. As a ground it
was worthless.

I replaced the original panel with a 200 amp panel, did a major rewring job (I
am a qualified electrician) and connected that, through a #8 bare copper wire
to 3 ea 8 foot ground rods,driven to within 2 inches of their tops, all wired
together and about 2 feet apart.

> I am not trying to be critical but am simply looking for alternative ways of
> dealing with the problem.

You and me both. :-)

Ken Gordon W7EKB