RFI

Re: [RFI] Grounding of A Rinnai RC80HPI Tank Less Water Heater

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Grounding of A Rinnai RC80HPI Tank Less Water Heater
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2015 18:11:04 -0700
The short answer to your question is that all of that equipment MUST, by Code (which carries the force of Law) be grounded by the "Green Wire" of the circuit that feeds power to it. In addition, that connection must be bonded to all exposed metal parts on the equipment.

But there's a lot more to it than that. First, a connection to earth is NOT part of a solution to RF noise problems, but that bonding IS important. That's something I would check.

Given the poor condition and/or sloppiness of the power wiring, I would look into that, and consider replacing it. It's also possible that something is mis-wired there. If you do replace it, buy twisted triplet or twisted quad cable from the electrical supply store or the big box store. Twisting is great at reducing RFI. 240 volt power must be fed by the two "hot" conductors, plus the Green for Ground. Make sure that Green is used for GROUND, and NOT for power. Make sure that Neutral is NOT used for Ground. Make sure that Green is not used to carry power.

And from your description, I would mistrust the capabilities of the contractor for that tankless heater and find a smart electrician to do this work if you are not qualified to do it yourself. I suspect that the source of the noise is control circuitry for that unit, but you might be hearing it because of bad/wrong wiring.

73, Jim K9YC