RFI

[RFI] RFI damage to motherboard and Registry

To: <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] RFI damage to motherboard and Registry
From: "W5GN" <w5gn@mxg.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 03:02:34 -0500
For the record.

I was testing a new long wire feeder from my 2nd story radio corner

along the outside wall that passed about 4 feet from my (heavy duty)

PowerNotebook in the other corner at my work desk.  This is my

work notebook and is NOT used/connected for ham radio.

A couple of times a wrong combo of band and antenna switch position

had tripped the Alpha 87A due to high SWR.

And, unfortunately, I had temporarily changed the LAN cable to the

notebook to one that did NOT run several turns thru a toroid.

The RFI generated by those excursions destroyed both the LAN and

the Wireless hardware on the motherboard, and overlaid the Registry

so that even USB LAN/WAP could not be used, which then required

a re-install of Windows SEVEN and all installed software.

This does now allow use of USB LAN or USB WAP, but still not the

original LAN nor WAP.  I'm limping along now, but will have

to replace the motherboard, primarily because I also have a

Win-XP application that requires VM Ware, and VM Ware has limitations

of only one active USB device, and that impacts communicating

between the XP box and Windows and external USB devices.

Barry, W5GN