RFI

Re: [RFI] Noise - where do I start? Update for 9-26-16

To: thoyer1@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noise - where do I start? Update for 9-26-16
From: dalej <dj2001x@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 08:47:53 -0500
If it’s 40 over S-9 it’s probably close.

GL
Dale, k9vuj

On 26, Sep 2016, at 8:23, thoyer1@verizon.net wrote:

One of the first things I did was to turn off every breaker in my house EXCEPT
the one that feeds power to three outlets in my shack. Of those three outlets
the ONLY thing plugged in was the TS-990 which is shown in the first video. I
understand this is not a complete power down of the house but it is as close as
I could get for now not having a battery powered radio available - I'm working
on getting something to use for this endeavor.

This morning before I left for work I was able to take a few minutes and check
for the noise. It was there in all of its 40 over 9 glory on 40m. I switched
over to the spectrum analyzer and enabled the line trigger and the noise does
indeed sync when the line trigger is enabled. I'll post that video later
tonight.

Today - in my spare time at work - I'm going to come up with a plan / checklist
as to how I'm going to try to isolate or identify where the noise is coming
from. I did do an antenna sweep on both 20m and 6m when the noise is active.
Seems to peak when turning the antennas through NE, SW.

In a previous response I outlined my antennas and will relist them here - TH6
at 40', 5el 6m approx 8' above TH6. Battle creek special for 160, 80 and 40.
Rigs currently available; TS-990, TS-870, TS-850 and an S-Line (my new toys as
of two weeks ago....)

Also noticed it seems to have more of a vertical component to it as it is
louder when using the vertical on 15m then with the TH6. I know the vertical is
not designed to be resonant on 15, but switching between the two showed that
when listening with the vertical it was a couple s units louder. (beam pointed
in general noise direction)

Engineering background here - aircraft avionics design and testing. Have
several years of qualification test experience with DO-160 and MIL-461 EMI
testing as well as diagnosing and fixing issues found during testing. It's a
bit easier to find problems in a chamber - you know the problem is in there!
Outside it becomes a little more complicated but I'm game to do some hunting
once I get better equipped to do so.

Regards,

Tom
W3TA