RFI

Re: [RFI] Help Identifying RFI

To: "jim@audiosystemsgroup.com" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Help Identifying RFI
From: JW via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 22:41:21 +0000 (UTC)
Well, maybe one's ears have gone bad limiting one's ability to note the noise
characteristics.

From the SDR spectrum displays I've seen one CANNOT note whether the carrier is
AC line modulated or not - just a pip showing on the screen..

Real definitive. I find an oscilloscope observing the AM detected output of the
receiver in the time domain to be more useful. I even use LINE TRIGGER to
verify it is AC line related.

Also, if you'll  note, wideband arcing AC line sources simply cause an SDR's
baseline to rise across the entire viewing range and without actually LISTENING
one cannot know if the SDR is showing anomalous overload indications or
broandand impulse noise. .

Give me a device I can use my ear with any day of the week .. ...

(How did we ever DF noise sources before SDR burst onto the scene? To me, many
SDR aficionados are just looking for a 'mission' they can fill in this regard
and have little to no other exposure to DF techniques.)

de Jim WB5WPA,