RFI

Re: [RFI] Keyboard

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Keyboard
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 03:58:45 -0500
Fix RF getting into the kbd, BUT this is only a problem in the one configuration! If so, then the problem should not be the kbd, nor should there be a need to go through RF chokes and any other cure at, to, or on the kbd. As this happens in only one configuration the problem HAS to be from something different in this one configuration.  Your later work has pretty much proven this to be the case with the reconfiguration of the cabling using the SB220 hookup.

Therefore, look carefully at what is different.  Remember, all coax lines to the amp provide grounds. Not earth grounds, but ground paths between equipment units. network grounds, keying lines, coax shield lengths, common ground lengths between driver and final, different lengths to "earth (CPG)" compared to grounding between equipment grounds while being careful to differentiate between grounds between equipment and earth grounds (CPG) connections.  Changing comparable lengths can and often does create different voltages between pieces of equipment.  With the kbd we are looking at small voltages that can be created by changes of only a few inches, let alone, feet.

So the key question becomes, what is, or was different in the equipment intersections that could have caused this. For me, the problem going away would not be enough.  I'd be forced to find the answer as to what had been causing the problem.  Trying to fix the symptoms is like treating a cold. You never cure it, you just make yourself feel better while you have it.  In the case of the kbd interference, you should be able to discover what was causing the problem.

As I've mentioned a number of times, I have never needed to go through adding chokes in the equipment lines, or wiring.  I did need to add a second common mode choke in the feedline to the center fed 75 meter, half wave sloping dipole as a single choke wasn't enough, but I was fixing the source, not treating the symptoms.

73, Roger (K8RI )