RFI

Re: [RFI] Bulk order source for Ferrite beads?

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Bulk order source for Ferrite beads?
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 18:08:44 +0000
"......the average ham can get by with just trig and algebra......"    I
dare observe and document that 95% (if not more) of the hams that populate
our local Northern Colorado repeaters are *afraid* of trig and algebra.
They are *totally* illiterate in those very basic subjects.  I won't bemoan
that fact further (believe me, I'd love to).  😕😖

My wife and I have a friend who runs a western clothing chain store in
Centenial, Colorado (south of Denver).  The store has become #1 in the
nation since she took it over.  However, in hiring, she would like to put
the phrase "millenials need not apply" at the very beginning of the
employment advertisements.   In short, they don't want to work.  I see the
same in my discipline, EMC/RFI and EE in general.  The new crop of the
"look-it-up" are about useless.

I really don't want to go on and on, but all this is so true!!  My goal in
retirement is to give back much of what I learned in both formal education
and experience on the work place in the hard sciences and math to the newer
high school crowd.  I volunteer at the Little Thompson Observatory in
Berthoud, Co and with the STEM program at the HS (see my page on QRZ).
However, now we have a new principal at the school who pontificates "all
subjects are of equal value".  Well, you can guess where this goes.
Sporting activities still hold sacred importance above science and math.
After 6 months, we still have yet to talk with her.  She avoids us.

Well, all this really isn't relevant to EMC/RFI directly, but Roger's
observations of the present "Google Generation" are so true.

Dave - WØLEV

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 6:25 AM Roger (K8RI) <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com> wrote:

> No natter how long we're in here there's always something new to learn.
> Thanks for all the work Jim.
>
> Too bad so many of the newer generations of hams have so little interest
> in the technical aspects, but I think that is true for all STEM subjects.
> Wayyyy back and the occupy Wall Street, I remember a girl being
> interviewed who was complaining about all the good paying jobs going to
> those majoring in STEM subjects (paraphrased). The interviewer then
> asked if she knew that, then why not major in one of those subjects.
> The answer? Oh, those are too hard! They expect to find any info they
> need using Google.  If that doesn't work then it's too hard.
>
> Each generation has had a label. I guess I'd call the present one, the
> "Look Up Generation", or the Google Generation"
>
> Difficult, maybe, as a student needs to take (and pass) all the needed
> classes ahead of time. The math we use as hams is greatly simplified
> compared to engineering.  We normally deal with only static points, or
> look up points on a graph, while engineering deals with dynamic data
> using Calculus as does Computer Science.  As hams we can normally "get
> by" using, at most, basic Trig and Algebra. There are now many pages out
> there where we can just "Plug in the numbers" to get answers for many
> complex problems.  The most difficult part being, finding those pages.
>
> 73, Roger (K8RI)
>

> On 2/3/2019 1:54 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> > On 2/3/2019 7:06 AM, Larry Benko wrote:
> >> Not very scientific but common mode circuits are elusive to
> >> understand and simulate.
> >
> > Not true. I've done a lot of research on common mode chokes and
> > published the results, first in 2005, then in 2008, updated in 2010
> > and 2016, and most recently in 2018. Once you understand the
> > equivalent circuit of a ferrite choke, you can analyze it in the
> > common mode circuit.
> >
> > k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf
> > k9yc.com/2018Cookbook.pdf
> >
> > Beginning on page 41 of RFI-Ham, I related my interface with engineers
> > from CIA, the leader of which subsequently forwarded me an
> > unclassified 1966 DOD study that came to all of the same conclusions I
> > did.
> >
> > 73, Jim K9YC

> --
> Roger (K8RI)