RFI

Re: [RFI] Bonding to a PC

To: Sean Waite <waisean@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Bonding to a PC
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2019 13:39:46 -0500
Typically, IF a computer generates RFI, the three most likely sources are the power supply, network interface connector cards (NIC) and a lack of ground.
As Jim Brown said, there is no such thing as a ground loop.

Many consumer computers cut corners where ever they can save a nickle, or dime and cheap power supplies seem to be a common source, or target. These are switching power supplies that may generate massive RFI. The cases of these are simple, interlocking, soft, bare Aluminum panels.  No screws, just tabs stuck through matching slots and twisted (and easily broken if disassembled). The hash generated may propagate down the power cord

The green wire is supposed to connect to the shielding, or at least to the power supply. Some don't connect to anything. In many older, or today's inexpensive offerings there is NO shielding except the metal box containing the power supply.   There have already been suggestions addressing this.  Read Jim Brown's tutorial. It a source of good educational material.

Then there is the NIC. It's likely a plug in board, but nay be integral with the motherboard. We are dealing with super high frequencies (as high as 4 or 5 GHz) here so a short wire can serve as an antenna.    These are available for as little as $12, or less, or quite a bit more.  It's a case of you get what you pay for (USUALLY), but you can pay far more than needed.

I had an "all-in-one" motherboard that had the resident NIC taken out by lightning.  I have quite a few plug in NIC boards. I plugged on in and it worked fine with no noise from the fried section.

BTW, the unterminated shield on some cables instead of doing nothing may actually serve as an unwanted antenna for network signals, or power supply hash, making it far worse than doing nothing.

73, Roger (K8RI)