RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI Digest, Vol 195, Issue 2

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI Digest, Vol 195, Issue 2
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 20:10:46 +0000
Amazon presently sells the UV-5R for $24.95.  I just checked.  It's not a
scam although I can NOT condone the assembly lines staffed with slaves of
the state.  Likely, the assembly lines are completely robotic and require
human intervention only occasionally.  The old HP printer line in
Vancouver, Wa. required only ONE human per line in case of a malfunction.
There were 16 active lines at any one time cranking out printers.  That's
all gone to China with the sacrifice of the traditional HP quality (pre
Carly and 'The Split").  The three units I had/have do no quite pass FCC
regs for harmonics and spurs, but fail by only a few dB into a dummy load
(I have the test gear to properly measure that).  I have not checked the
emissions into the rubber duck that comes with the units as I don't have a
truly broadband 'antenna' other than a very short length of wire (< 0.10 of
a wavelength at the highest frequency at which I care to evaluate) nor an
SAIC in which to test.

Personally, I have no use for all the fancies, bells and whistles, and
gee-whizzery that comes with the present-day handi-talkies from the major
three of four suppliers (if you include Alinco).  I realize the newbies get
stars in their eyes for all the digital gee-whizzery, but I've been a
licensed ham for some 60 years and the gee-whizzery doesn't tickle my
fancy.  I just require reliable communications from a small hand-held unit
at a reasonable price.  That's what BaoFeng offers and its not a flame
thrower for out-of-band emissions like some other Chinese imports.   I
believe marketing uses those added 'fluffs' to justify the exorbitant
prices they charge for a simple HT.  $600 for an HT......?  Not in my
estimation !! !!! ! !! !  $300 for a simple HT?  Not for me!!!!!  Just not
interested when I can get reliable communications in a small package for a
reasonable price (from China).  Besides, most of the 'fluffs' are just in
the firmware with nothing to improve the RF performance of the expensive
HT's.

You may gather, I like my BaoFeng BF-8HP handi-talkie.  I even paid a
reasonable price:  $70 from Amazon.  But, it does NOT do the claimed
7-watts.  Do I really care?  7-watts over a solid 5-watts is only 1.5
dB......HARDLY worth the marketing claim!!!

Dave - W ØLEV

*Dave - WØLEV*
*Just Let Darwin Work*
*Just Think*