RFI

Re: [RFI] There goes the neighborhood.....

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] There goes the neighborhood.....
From: Tony <dxdx@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 19:18:54 -0400
Jamie:

If it's a SolarEdge system, you can expect to see a combination of close-spaced noise every 15 to 18 kHz with spikes every 200 kHz. The number of spikes increase as you get closer to the source which is a characteristic seen in the last two screenshots on Dave's website.

See: https://www.nk7z.net/solar-2/

The noise "signature" is essentially the same from one SolarEdge installation to the next: you can see this when you compare the first screenshot taken at my location in New York and the 3rd screenshot taken at a location in California. Both illustrate SolarEdge RFI on the 20 meter band.

Another thing to look for is the presence of noise during the day and the lack of noise at night when the panels are no longer illuminated by the Sun. The first two screenshots on Dave's page illustrate the day / night cycle seen at my location.

For what it's worth, I have an ongoing case with SolarEdge since 2016 and they have yet to fix the problem. They've made a few attempts to suppress the noise with little effect. The last attempt was early this year.

The problem is that SolarEdge fails to addressed the entire system so components like the inverter are left with no suppression.

There's the lack of priority on the companies part as well. It will be 3 years this August since the system was turned on.

Best of luck Jamie -- hope things work out.

Tony -K2MO