RFI

Re: [RFI] Noise centered around 20 meters (Update)

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noise centered around 20 meters (Update)
From: Gary <gary_mayfield@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2020 15:11:03 +0000
I thought I would update folks on the interference case mentioned below. I got
lucky!

Staying on public streets and in the neighborhood park I was able to track the
interference down to what I thought was the garage side of a neighbor's home. I
built a small loop antenna and used a portable shortwave receiver that were
invaluable in this process. A call out to my local radio club netted club
members who knew my neighbor.

My club members broke the ice over the phone and one of them accompanied me to
the neighbor's home yesterday. We met in the most Covid safe manner possible.
The problem turned out to be one of three neon signs in the neighbor's garage.
He leaves the signs on all the time. The other two signs did not generate
noise, and we were unable to detect noise from the offending sign anywhere
except from 11-15.6 MHz. An AM broadcast radio 2 inches away from the sign did
NOT detect noise. Chokes and using a different circuit had no effect as the
noise was present either way.

He is going to get the sign serviced, and has agreed to leave it off until
repaired, and through Field Day.

Thank You to all who offered help, 73 and Stay Safe,
Gary "Joe" kk0sd

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Sent: Saturday, May 23, 2020 5:18 PM
Subject: RE: [RFI] Noise centered around 20 meters

I was able to borrow a portable shortwave radio today, and we clearly
determined the noise is from about a block over. I will build a loop for the
radio tonight and take another whack at it tomorrow.

Anyone have any suggestions for approaching a neighbor you have not met (if
it's in a house) in this era of social distancing?

Thanks and 73,
Gary "Joe" kk0sd

> On May 23, 2020, at 12:50 PM, Gary <gary_mayfield@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> I was asked to do a video of the noise with no talking. You can see it here:
> https://youtu.be/I_AeXh5IGYg
>
> The noise sounds the same across the band where I can hear it 11 - 15.6 MHz.
> It is the strongest around 13.5 MHz. There are no carriers that I can
> associate with the noise.

(Snipped)

> Sent: Saturday, May 23, 2020 8:46 AM
> To: rfi@contesting.com
> Subject: [RFI] Noise centered around 20 meters
>
> Hey folks,
>
>                I don't work a lot of 20 meters, but was thinking I might use
> it during Field Day for a 1E operation. I have some 'noise' that starts
> around 11 MHz and gets stronger as I tune up the band. It is about S8-S9
> across all of 20 meters and finally plays out around 15.600 MHz. I made a
> video showing the issue and placed it on Youtube here:
> https://youtu.be/HD3sH-YjdyE
>
>                I have preformed tests turning the breakers off to my home one
> at a time as well as turning the master breaker off and running the radio
> from a battery. The noise is unchanged by this. The noise is there 24 hours a
> day 7 days a week.
>
>                The antenna is a simple ground mounted vertical in my backyard.
(Snipped)