RFI

Re: [RFI] Covering Solar Panels To Assess RFI

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Covering Solar Panels To Assess RFI
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2020 20:53:05 -0700
Inverters are inherently noisy.   So you replace a noisy one with another
noisy one.  You cover the panels so the inverters have nothing to invert.
That doesn't mean the solar panels are the culprit.  Plain old solar panels
are very quiet, at least all of my 8000 watts sure are. It's all the other
stuff that causes the noise.

True, however...

I have a panel in storage, a small one, 12 volts, or so, at a few mA. I noticed it was not keeping a small battery charged. Now, I have NOT done much testing on it at all, it's from a project that was mothballed almost ten years ago.

What I noticed was that the voltage output of the panel was erratic. In direct line with the Sun, and connected to both a digital meter, and analog meter directly, no load, the voltage bounced all over the place while illuminated. The reading was more what I would expect from an analog modulation meter monitoring a talk-radio station.

I should have connected it to a speaker, or an amplifier, and speaker to hear what it was producing, even sniff around RF-wise, but didn't. I still have the panel, I suppose one day I should dig it up, and check.

Kurt