RFI

[RFI] RFI - A Losing Battle

To: RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] RFI - A Losing Battle
From: Jim McCook <w6ya@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 02:47:21 +0000
There is a lot here that doesn’t make any sense to me.It appears to be a fantasy that there is a FCC regulation to prevent harmful interference to licensed radio communication.Interference is interference.S-7 noise is harmful when the signal interfered with is S-6.If the signal is S-3 and the offending noise is S-4, it is exactly the same situation.All these special rules for different devices, incidental radiators, unintentional radiators, intentional radiators, ad nauseam, concern devices that need NOT cause interference above or below 30 MHz _if properly designed_.We all know “FCC Compliance” is a joke where lobbying and politics rule.   It appears on a label that may have come from a roll of labels printed in China and slapped onto electronic garbage that indeed causes RFI.The switching power supply for my K3 sits inches from the radio._It creates NO RFI_.

Government (FCC) is supposed to be working FOR US, but what really happens is that FCC obviously has abandoned Part 15.3 (n) when it comes to Amateur Radio.Ed and Paul at ARRL make a huge effort to help hams by picking up the void left by FCC that has placed ridiculous limits allowing interference to occur unless that interference reaches a certain arbitrarily determined signal level, never mind that it DOES cause interference to amateur radio. This responsibility should NOT be on the shoulders of ARRL.  It is a HUGE burden.

A different agency consisting of _engineers and enforcement_ is needed to replace FCC that can properly deal with amateur radio interference.It should be funded by our tax money that is being thrown away on many foolish, wasteful political agencies.Until this happens we will continue to slowly lose our HF spectrum due to rapidly increasing sources of devastating RFI.We are rapidly losing this battle.

Jim W6YA