RFI

Re: [RFI] Mobile Noise in Toyota(s)

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Mobile Noise in Toyota(s)
From: "Smits, Robert" <rsmits@islandnet.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 12:05:03 -0700

On 9/16/2020 11:13 AM, David Gottschalk wrote:
Howdy folks,
     I'm looking for some help and guidance in next steps I can do to
resolve a mobile noise issue I have. I'm stumped and not really sure what
else to try. I have a 1997 Toyota 4runner, and a 2003 Toyota Tacoma. Both
of them make horrible noise when the engine is running. After some initial
investigation, I thought it might be a bad coil pack/wires or even spark
plugs. I replaced all three of those with factory new parts on the Tacoma,
and it still makes this noise. It totally wipes out AM broadcast band to
about the 2m band. If anyone has experience with an issue like this or, any
idea for other things to try I'd appreciate it greatly. Below is a video of
the noise in my Tacoma, but this exact same noise happens in both cars. It
is radiated from something, not conducted as the radio was running off
battery (as you can see in the video).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hb0wmc2jyzm4d5n/2020-07-31%2017.35.36.mp4?dl=0

You might find this link from Popular Mechanics useful...

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a84/1272491/

73,
David
KN4ZKT