RFI

Re: [RFI] Mobile Noise in Toyota(s)

To: David Gottschalk <dave@highredline.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Mobile Noise in Toyota(s)
From: "Jeff (W4DD)" <w4dd09@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 16:00:25 -0400
I have a 2008 Toyota Tacoma and had S-9 noise when running mobile.  I was
able to reduce it greatly by grounding the tail pipe at the exhaust exit to
the truck frame with a 1 inch strap and stainless steel hose clamp.  Used a
quarter inch bolt on the frame side.

The tail pipe is hung on rubber straps and was acting like an antenna for
engine noise.  As a test, you can connect a clip lead between the end of
the tail pipe and frame and see if it has any effect.

I also tried various other groundind staps for the hood, front quarter
panels, and roof but they had minimal impact.

I use the mobile set-up for producing a RFI Map so maintaining a low noise
floor is important.  The S meter usually runs between S-2 and S-4 depending
on engine speed.

Jeff, W4DD