RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI - A Losing Battle

To: Dave Cole <dave@nk7z.net>, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI - A Losing Battle
From: "Hare, Ed W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 23:58:34 +0000
Yeah, although we do get the FCC to do some enforcement anyway.

What is needed is a campaign to identify aggregious devices and report them to
the FCC.  ARRL has filed a few complaints about illegal devices, but until that
turns into a number of cases, it is hard to get more than staff-level cases.
Just as we got that underway, W1MG retired and it took a while to get W1VLF
into the role.  He hit the ground running, but actual cases keep him pretty
busy. We did get started with testing devices for compliance, even without a
fully certified lab to to do, although we do duplicate the ANSI C63 test
methodology the FCC specifies in the rules. It certainly is good enough testing
to justify a complaint, considering that we give a number of dB leeway. I want
cases that will pass all muster when we can go live with this.

COVID-19 ground that to a halt, as ARRL staff had to work remotely only, then
had to comply with only 50% occupancy and other requirements.

Still, we are preparing to re-engage this at our earliest opportunity.  We need
to identify devices, though.  To file a complaint, we have to buy one on the
open market, from a US seller, test it, document the tests and get a formal
complaint filed.  W1VT identified over 10,000 potential emitters on the
walmart.com site alone, so there is simply no way to test them all.  The hard
part of this is that the limits are too high to please any of us, so device
causing S7 noise from the house next door may well be in compliance.  It can
still be harmful interference, but if we are talking filing complaints against
illegal devices, we need, well... actual illegal devices.

We did this with grow lights and found two models, similar, so probably the
same PC board, 58 dB over the FCC limits.  Translation:  One device was
creating as much noise as 650,000 legal devices.  (That is not a typo -- QST
figured it was and changed it to 650! lol!)  We tested LED bulbs from the big
box stores and found them all in compliance, although the next batch may or may
not be the same.

Ed, W1RFI