RFI

Re: [RFI] Question Regarding Variations In Solar Panel RFI?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Question Regarding Variations In Solar Panel RFI?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2020 09:01:11 -0700
On 9/28/2020 7:23 AM, Cianciolo, Paul, W1VLF wrote:
In addition I have a Corcom 25fc10 installed at my home.  See the data sheet
and response curves here.http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1430489.pdf
The filter makes a barely detectable change in the any received RFI I have from
the SE system.

Hi Paul,

Conventional line filters are often ineffective against RF noise coupled onto power wiring because the noise current is usually on the Green wire, and the Green wire passes through them. These filters are actually two differential filters applied to the Phase and Neutral conductors plus a common mode filter applied to Phase and Neutral. They affect only what's conducted to Phase and Neutral.

That current gets onto the green wire because it is not terminated properly within the noisy equipment. It's the Mains Power equivalent of what engineers in the pro audio world call "the Pin One Problem."

This is why common mode chokes formed by winding multiple turns of all three conductors around suitable ferrite cores suppress common mode current, while conventional line filters fail to do so. For suppression at HF, Fair-Rite #31 material is the weapon of choice. Indeed, what EMC regulations call common mode is not what we as radio engineers would call common mode!

http://k9yc.com/Pin_1_Revisited.pdf
http://k9yc.com/Pin_1_Revisited_Part_2.pdf
http://k9yc.com/KillingReceiveNoise.pdf

Your photos didn't come through -- this reflector is plain text only.

73, Jim K9YC