RFI

Re: [RFI] NEW REFRIGERATOR/FREEZER from KITCHENAID

To: Alan Higbie <alan.higbie@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] NEW REFRIGERATOR/FREEZER from KITCHENAID
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2020 00:17:44 +0000
Thanks for the suggestion.  I was so, well,......, angry....... I couldn't
think constructively!  Yes, a few turns through the appropriate core might
do the trick.   Again, thanks for the suggestion.  Tomorrow is another day
(after a few sips of Teguila......).

Dave - WØLEV

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 11:43 PM Alan Higbie <alan.higbie@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Dave ~
> Our Kenmore Elite refrigerator was producing signals spaced every ~60 Hz.
> Here is image of SDR-Console waterfall display.
> The image shows how the RFI stopped when I unplugged the refrigerator.
>
> The RFI was reduced to nothing after I placed 2 #31 snap-on chokes on the
> AC power cord.
> Could only fit about 3 or 4 turns into each choke.
> One choke alone did not completely eliminate the RFI. The power cord was
> too short and didn't have room to fit another choke.
> So I bought an extension cord and put the other choke on it.
> That RFI source was completely eliminated.
> (then moved on to the next worse source)
>
> 73, Alan K0AV
>

> On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 5:04 PM David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I should not have been so optimistic!!!  On originally checking and
>> quickly
>> checking for RFI after installation, it seemed OK.  However, today while
>> addressing a problem from a close-by contesting station, I discovered, no
>> surprise........, the new refrigerator/freezer is producing nasty 60-Hz
>> garbage on 160 and 75/80 meters.
>>
>> Of course, home appliances are exempted in the FCC
>> rules.....grrrrrrr.......  Not even a regulatory page in the manual.   Our
>> tax monies in the ozone.......
>>
>> I just need to unload (big glass of red whine) and look for a good EMI
>> filter that will take 15 to 20 amperes.  KitchenAid is not even clear in
>> the manual on AC power requirements.  All they allude to is 120 vac fused
>> for 15 to 20 amperes and the suggestion that one uses a dedicated line.
>> No
>> where on the appliance or in the manual do they even give the current draw
>> or wattage of the appliance.
>>

>> Oh, yes, on my initiated on-line chat with customer service, the he/she/it
>> on the other end had absolutely no idea what "radio frequency
>> interference"
>> meant.  After typing it in three times, he/she/it promised to forward my
>> request to someone on the, of all things, telephone (not that I expect
>> that
>> will do any good......).
>>
>> Yet another hit from embedded SMPS's "With Love, From China".
>>
>> Dave - WØLEV

*Dave - WØLEV*
*Just Let Darwin Work*