RFI

Re: [RFI] Solar Panel RFI Awareness At Dayton

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Solar Panel RFI Awareness At Dayton
From: "Dave (NK7Z)" <dave@nk7z.net>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 22:24:21 -0700
If only the FCC enforced their own rules, I would agree with you...

There is very little proactive enforcement happening up in this area, and I suspect elsewhere...

RFI is rampant, and getting worse, not better. It is a mindlessly simple task to locate a grow operations in most cases. Yet the Amateur is the person on the front lines in location, and in first contact with the offender, exposing the Amateur to possible liability, and possible assault.

The grow ops up here are far too big to be selling in state, which means they are selling out of state, which means they are illegal. So the FCC is placing the Amateur in the position of possibly dealing with a drug offender... The real issue is the RFI, not what is being grown, or warmed, or lit... Just the RFI, but it is still the Amateur that has to knock on the door, and explain what is happening to whoever answers...

The FCC is ham stringed by not enough funding, so we are the front line... RFI enforcement has switched from proactive to reactive as a result of lack of funding-- unless you are a cell provider... Then one call gets instant action, and-- god forbid you even think about starting a pirate FM station...

In a perfect world, I would report RFI to the FCC, and they would send down a field engineer in a timely manner, locate the RFI, and fine, or warn the perpetrator, then followup with the operator of the device a few weeks later, to ascertain compliance levels. This would force an overall reduction in the amount RFI, over time as consumers went after the installers, and the manufacturers.

That is just not happening.  Thus the problem gets worse, not better.

This is why I say, there is some reasonable level of RFI that the amateur is going to have to accept. Be it right or wrong, that is the way it is working, and for the foreseeable future going to work. This is very unfortunate.

73,
Dave,
https://www.nk7z.net