RFI

Re: [RFI] Solar Panel RFI Awareness At Dayton

To: Dale <svetanoff@earthlink.net>, KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>, RFI Mail list at contesting.com <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Solar Panel RFI Awareness At Dayton
From: "Hare, Ed, W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 08:54:45 +0000
<The specified frequency range for CE102 is 10 kHz to 100 MHz and for RE102 it
is 100 kHz to 18 GHz!  Note: the CE102 specs are for emissions FROM the power
leads of the device under test, and for RE102, they apply to both power leads
and any interconnecting leads.>

For FCC Part 15, CE limits for unintentional emitters apply from 150 kHz to 30
MHz.  They apply only to the AC mains, not the interconnecting wiring.

RE limits apply above 30 MHz, but if the free-running inverter/optimizer
frequencies are below 1.705 MHz and there is no digital circuitry clocked above
that frequency, it is not necessary to measure those emissions. (See CFR 47
Sec. 15.33(b)(1).

<As others have mentioned, the costs to perform these tests and pass them are
not trivial.  Thus, reality says that we hams should not expect any regulatory
or voluntary relief from these interfering sources anytime soon (can you hear
the screams of agony from the manufacturers?).>

Solar systems are not certificated, but authorized under a Suppliers
Declaration of Conformity. As such, the manufacturer is required to perform all
of the testing required by Part 15 regulations and to keep the test data on
file, providing it to the FCC on request. So they already must test it.  These
manufacturers WILL give pushback if the FCC were to seek to lower the emissions
limits and/or require additional testing such as a requirement to measure
radiated emissions below 30 MHz, or to have to measure conducted noise on other
wiring such as the wires connecting inverters to solar panels, etc.

Having said that, though, so far, most manufacturers ARE offering considerable
cooperation to try to resolve harmful interference. Solar Edge has replaced
over 500 systems in the field, completely removing panels, wiring, optimizers
and inverters in houses and replacing them with improved models.  Generac has
done the same on a much smaller scale and has indicated to ARRL that it wants
to have its products operate way below the FCC emissions limits.

>From ARRL's experience in this, having investigated a solar system installed
>at W1VLF, the devices meet the current rules.  The noise coming from Paul's
>system was being radiated from the wiring running to the roof, not the AC
>mains.  Having said that, if a device that just meets the FCC conducted
>emissions limits below 30 MHz is installed in a neighbor's home, it is
>probable that about S7 noise to a nearby amateur will result.   To have
>emissions limits lower than the current rules would require about 40 dB of
>reduction, adding considerable costs to the filtering needed to manufacturer
>every unit sold.  This would apply to solar system and the $10 wall-wart
>charger people use to charge telephones, making that $10 charger into a $110
>charger instantly.  The pushback to try to get limits that virtually prevent
>interference would be severe, and the lawyers involved would put an end to all
>cooperation, out of fear that demonstrating that systems can be fixed might
>strengthen a case that
  those fixes should be required to be installed in every system, irrespective
of interference.

The premise of the rules is one of balance.  The FCC and manufacturers does not
believe it to be appropriate to have limits low enough to prevent all
interference.  Under the existing rules, the vast majority of devices
manufactured are not involved in a harmful interference complaint if those
devices meet the current rules.  The intent of the rules is to set limits that
reduce the likelihood of interference to a small-enough number of cases that it
is practical to resolve them on a case-by-case basis.  This also localizes
interference, so if there is interference, is coming from a nearby premise, not
coming from a mile away.

So, in my personal opinion, we should not seek try to change the rules.  The
FCC is not likely to carve out separate rules for solar systems as opposed to
all other unintentional emitters.  So any rules change would apply to the $10
power supply as well as to solar systems.  Attempts to change the limits would,
IMHO, result in more pushback than could ever allow those rules to be changed.
An open rulemaking would also put an end to cooperation from at least some
manufacturers, as we saw in the BPL days, where the pushback from industry was
relentless.

Is this hopeless?  Not really. In the long run, getting some of what we want
incorporated into industry standards may be the door opener needed.  As various
standards are put into place that may begin to address things we would like to
see in the rules, rules are more easily changed if standards support those
changes than if one stakeholder that needs more protection than most
stakeholders seeks to lower the limits.  This will take years, and the first of
those standards is nearly ready for ballot -- the IEEE EMC Society sponsored a
standard that covers the wide scope of describing how electric utilities should
respond when they receive complaints of harmful interference to radio and
television use near their systems.

The process of my idea to do this Recommended Practice to having an end
standard took 5 years and ARRL intends to build on that, looking to have
similar standards for other industries, such as solar.  Our work with at least
three solar manufacturers at this point makes a good start at another
Recommended Practice and two of the companies have expressed back general
interest to my feelers.

Ed Hare, W1RFI