RFI

[RFI] RFI Friendly Home Solar And The Australian "FCC"

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] RFI Friendly Home Solar And The Australian "FCC"
From: Tony <73guddx@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 22:07:38 -0400
All:

Here's some encouraging news about a solar panel manufacturer and the Australian "FCC".

I recently had a QSO with Dale, VK7DG and noticed that the street level photo of his QTH showed a row of solar panels on his on the roof of his home. I asked if he noticed any RFI issues from his system and expected to hear the usual response about horrendous noise, but he said it was noise-free! His inverter is made by SMA Sunny Boy and the panels by an unknown German manufacturer.

Dale also mentioned actions taken by the Australian Communications Media Authority regarding solar panel RFI. The ACMA is the Aussie version of our FCC. He said that his sister had an RFI problem that suddenly popped up on the commercial broadcast band. She filed a complaint with the ACMA who then tracked down the noise to a neighbors newly installed home solar system.

The ACMA ordered the system to be shut down until the problem was resolved. It was later replaced with a "more reputable brand"  of inverter and panels which solved the problem.

Interesting how they do things in VK land -- we can only wish for that kind of response from the FCC.

Tony -K2MO