RFI

Re: [RFI] Lennox brand HVAC RFI experience

To: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Lennox brand HVAC RFI experience
From: Jeff Blaine <KeepWalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 22:12:34 -0500
Thanks for that link Steve.  It looks like this Lennox heater uses exactly that 5-speed constant torque motor.  In looking at how those motors are constructed, and the layout of the control board, I don't see any sort of thing that screams "PWM IMPLEMENTED HERE SO LET THE WAVEFORM CHOPPING CONSOMME AND LETS RIP SOME RFI!!!"

I had a long talk with my HVAC guy, and showed him the shack, and the test gear and so he was comfortable that I would be able to implement any abatement - if needed - especially since any 120/240 stuff would have my electrician's seal of approval and keep them off the hook for "user tampering" or whatever other things they may be worried about.  And from that, we did not talk about any of the variable speed this and that solutions out there.  It was all single/dual speed only.  No variable anything.

I've got a few messages from guys saying the RFI issue was contained (in those cases) by following the generic suppression stuff (common mode primary, some differential if needed - and a bit of shielded runs to the thermostat in one case).  I suspect that I could make a variable speed system work but it looks simpler and may be a higher chance of no-problem if I just stick with the dual speed options which is where I am now.  In fact, I may consider a 2 speed aircon compressor if those are winding-selected 2-speed implementations instead of 2-setting variable speed things.  Need to check more.

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com