RFI

Re: [RFI] HVAC - some observations

To: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>, James Jordan <k4qpl2@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] HVAC - some observations
From: "Hare, Ed, W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 10:11:08 +0000
Like the police, the FCC does want to do its job, but I like the analogy; we
could not afford enough cops to catch every speeder.

What ARRL has done is to work out a process with the FCC where the League does
much of the work up front, preparing cases for the FCC to take on to one degree
or another.

Our initial work does the following:

  *   Determines whether the problem meets the FCC's definition of harmful
interference.
  *   Determines that the correct source of noise has been identified
  *   Determines that reasonable efforts have been made to try to work it out
between the involved parties

If the Lab staff determine that interference actually exists and that the ham
is at an impasse trying to resolve it, we then start the process by contacting
the neighbor/utility/etc., explaining the issues and emphasizing that the
amateur and ARRL want to help.  We then do what we can to help.

If the utility, company or neighbor are being cooperative, it is almost always
best to continue to try to help resolve it.  In the case of companies and
utilities, a letter from the FCC can be met by pushing the entire case over to
the company attorneys, who almost always see their jobs as trying to get the
company off the hook.

If all that fails, we then turn the case over to the FCC. Initially, it writes
an "advisory letter" to the involved party, with a follow up.  Where the case
gets really hard is if actual enforcement seems necessary.  The FCC cannot
issue an actual enforcement based only on a complaint, so it would need to have
a field office do an investigation.  The FCC can and has done these, but their
priority for amateur radio is pretty low, so this is an area that needs more
"cooperative process" to try to move a few cases off of dead center.

Ed, W1RFI