RFI

[RFI] New interesting feature added to the TinySA per my request for pos

To: RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] New interesting feature added to the TinySA per my request for possible use in the RFI arena
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 19:01:31 -0500
I just uploaded a youtube video demonstrating a feature I had requested the
designer of the TinySA add which I thought might be helpful in analyzing
power line noise and other noise sources that are synchronized with 60 Hz
power and 50 Hz power as an example, and within just a few days the TimySA
designer (Erik) implemented my idea and today I downloaded the new firmware
that includes the new feature and preliminary testing indicates it's
working well.  This feature should allow us to view how many times per half
cycle a power line is arcing as an example but field testing needs to be
done to see how well it works and how helpful it really is.  For those
interested here is a link to my youtube video: https://youtu.be/ZKGw_P_aWD4

The feature I have wanted for a long time with some of the available
free/shareware SDR software packages was for the audio spectrum scope
available in some SDR software packages to have an automatic trigger that
was synchronized to 60 Hz in which the audio spectrum scope would be
updated at a rate equivalent to 1/60Hz = 16.7 msec or a multiple thereof,
but I could not get anyone interested in adding that feature which was a
shame.  This is along the same concept of some oscilloscopes that offer
line frequency triggering.

The TinySA like other spectrum analyzers has a Zero Span mode in which the
spectrum analyzer displays what I would consider a time domain signal
instead of the normal frequency domain display, and the horizontal axis
represents a user defined sweep time when in Zero Span mode.  In zero span
mode you select the fixed frequency where the spectrum analyzer is
listening as well as the bandwidth and the spectrum analyzer displays the
AM demodulated signal that's received within its bandwidth versus time.
The feature that was lacking is that the display update could not be
synchronized with the demodulated audio frequency of interest but that has
been resolved by adding my requested interval trigger timing feature.  I
requested this feature after N7WS (Wes) asked about how one could view
demodulated audio on the TinySA and I mentioned that the one feature that
was lacking was synchronized triggering, so thanks to Wes for getting me
motivated once again about synchronized triggering.

A lot of real life testing needs to be done to see how useful this new
feature is, but it definitely is a feature I have long sought in a portable
unit, and hopefully it will be a permanent feature in the TinySA.

Just FYI,
Don (wd8dsb)