[RTTY] CQWW RTTY P40MM(K3MM) SOAB LP

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] CQWW RTTY P40MM(K3MM) SOAB LP
From: tgstewart@pepco.com (tgstewart@pepco.com)
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 12:59:53 -0400
--=_alternative 005D275E85256ADA_=

                     CQ/RJ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: P40MM
Operator(s): K3MM
Station: P40V

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: P4
Operating Time (hrs): 46
Radios: SO2R

   80:     90    267     34     20     10
   40:    305    889     46     55     18
   20:    794   2333     52     74     26
   15:    875   2575     54     85     31
   10:    908   2684     54     78     24
Total:   2972   8748    240    312    109  =  5,782,428

Club/Team: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I set out to break the World SOLP record that WF1B set back in 97 from the
same
QTH using P40TT.  As it turns out, I set my sights a little too low! After

about 24 hours, the LP record was history.  What was left to do?  Break
the HP
record running LP, of course!  Tim, N4GN, set the World SOHP record from
EA8BH
last year.  I knew it was 5 million plus but couldnt remember the actual
score
I was shooting for.  I found at after I got back it was just over 5
million
points.  When Tim called me on Sunday for a QSO, he started asking score
questions.  When I told him I was at 4.73? mil, he said "Uh oh"! Heh
heh...

I have to give a big "thank you" to Carl, AI6V, for providing a really
fine ham
rental QTH.  It was my first time to Aruba and it's by far the most
"civilized"
ham accomodations I've yet encountered in the "islands" at a very
reasonable
rate.  His place was impeccably clean and organized as well as being a
first
rate ham station.  It made my job of installing the additional gear for
the
RTTY contest very easy.  Although I had to rebuild the 80 meter dipole,
there
was plenty of spare material there as well as a climbing belt, so it was a

fairly easy and safe job.

I'd also like to thank N3OC, Brian, the current PVRC president, who went
to a
lot of effort to provide me with 2 notebook computers that would run RITTY

software.  I spent a lot of time playing around with Writelog and MMTTY,
etc.,
but in the end came back to the old trusted WF1B/RITTY combo that works so
well
if you can get it to work!  The problem with the Windows alternatives are
their
reliance on pointing devices to get a lot of tasks done.  My notebooks had

touchpads (nasty ones at that) and no spare ports for a mouse interface. I

would have committed suicide well be for the contest was over had I been
forced
to go that route.  Once tweaked, I found the MMTTY to be a very good
alternative to RITTY performance-wise.  I wish I had set it up in parallel
RITTY to compare them in real time, but never got around to it.

Anyway, I ran good old WF1B's RTTY v 5.01 along with RITTY 4.53 and except
for
a couple of crashes from one of the notebooks, it worked great.

The station was an existing FT1000D along with one of my FT1000MP's, some
added
BPF's, etc., and the usual antenna farm at P40V:  a 10/15 "monobander",
and
20/40 "monobander, a C31XR, and dipoles for 80/160.  The 3 towers are
about 35
to 50 feet high I think, two of which are amazingly close together.  In
fact, I
had to be careful not to point the C31 thru the 10/15 and vice versa as
they
severely degraded each other when they were lined up.

73, Ty K3MM/P40MM/KF3P...

--=_alternative 005D275E85256ADA_=

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;CQ/RJ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY<br>
 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;<br>
Call: P40MM<br>
Operator(s): K3MM<br>
Station: P40V<br>
Class: SOAB LP<br>
QTH: P4<br>
Operating Time (hrs): 46<br>
Radios: SO2R<br>
 Band &nbsp; &nbsp; QSOs &nbsp; Pts &nbsp;States &nbsp; DX &nbsp; Zones<br>
------------------------------------------<br>
 &nbsp; 80: &nbsp; &nbsp; 90 &nbsp; &nbsp;267 &nbsp; &nbsp; 34 &nbsp; &nbsp; 20
&nbsp; &nbsp; 10<br>
 &nbsp; 40: &nbsp; &nbsp;305 &nbsp; &nbsp;889 &nbsp; &nbsp; 46 &nbsp; &nbsp; 55
&nbsp; &nbsp; 18<br>
 &nbsp; 20: &nbsp; &nbsp;794 &nbsp; 2333 &nbsp; &nbsp; 52 &nbsp; &nbsp; 74
&nbsp; &nbsp; 26<br>
 &nbsp; 15: &nbsp; &nbsp;875 &nbsp; 2575 &nbsp; &nbsp; 54 &nbsp; &nbsp; 85
&nbsp; &nbsp; 31<br>
 &nbsp; 10: &nbsp; &nbsp;908 &nbsp; 2684 &nbsp; &nbsp; 54 &nbsp; &nbsp; 78
&nbsp; &nbsp; 24<br>
------------------------------------------<br>
Total: &nbsp; 2972 &nbsp; 8748 &nbsp; &nbsp;240 &nbsp; &nbsp;312 &nbsp;
&nbsp;109 &nbsp;= &nbsp;5,782,428<br>
Club/Team: Potomac Valley Radio Club<br>
Comments:<br>
I set out to break the World SOLP record that WF1B set back in 97 from the same
QTH using P40TT. &nbsp;As it turns out, I set my sights a little too low!
&nbsp;After <br>
about 24 hours, the LP record was history. &nbsp;What was left to do?
&nbsp;Break the HP <br>
record running LP, of course! &nbsp;Tim, N4GN, set the World SOHP record from
EA8BH <br>
last year. &nbsp;I knew it was 5 million plus but couldnt remember the actual
score <br>
I was shooting for. &nbsp;I found at after I got back it was just over 5
million <br>
points. &nbsp;When Tim called me on Sunday for a QSO, he started asking score
questions. &nbsp;When I told him I was at 4.73? mil, he said &quot;Uh oh&quot;!
Heh heh...<br>
I have to give a big &quot;thank you&quot; to Carl, AI6V, for providing a
really fine ham <br>
rental QTH. &nbsp;It was my first time to Aruba and it's by far the most
&quot;civilized&quot; <br>
ham accomodations I've yet encountered in the &quot;islands&quot; at a very
reasonable <br>
rate. &nbsp;His place was impeccably clean and organized as well as being a
first <br>
rate ham station. &nbsp;It made my job of installing the additional gear for
the <br>
RTTY contest very easy. &nbsp;Although I had to rebuild the 80 meter dipole,
there <br>
was plenty of spare material there as well as a climbing belt, so it was a <br>
fairly easy and safe job.<br>
I'd also like to thank N3OC, Brian, the current PVRC president, who went to a
lot of effort to provide me with 2 notebook computers that would run RITTY <br>
software. &nbsp;I spent a lot of time playing around with Writelog and MMTTY,
etc., <br>
but in the end came back to the old trusted WF1B/RITTY combo that works so well
if you can get it to work! &nbsp;The problem with the Windows alternatives are
their <br>
reliance on pointing devices to get a lot of tasks done. &nbsp;My notebooks had
touchpads (nasty ones at that) and no spare ports for a mouse interface.
&nbsp;I <br>
would have committed suicide well be for the contest was over had I been forced
to go that route. &nbsp;Once tweaked, I found the MMTTY to be a very good <br>
alternative to RITTY performance-wise. &nbsp;I wish I had set it up in parallel
to <br>
RITTY to compare them in real time, but never got around to it.<br>
Anyway, I ran good old WF1B's RTTY v 5.01 along with RITTY 4.53 and except for
a couple of crashes from one of the notebooks, it worked great.<br>
The station was an existing FT1000D along with one of my FT1000MP's, some added
BPF's, etc., and the usual antenna farm at P40V: &nbsp;a 10/15
&quot;monobander&quot;, and <br>
20/40 &quot;monobander, a C31XR, and dipoles for 80/160. &nbsp;The 3 towers are
about 35 <br>
to 50 feet high I think, two of which are amazingly close together. &nbsp;In
fact, I <br>
had to be careful not to point the C31 thru the 10/15 and vice versa as they
severely degraded each other when they were lined up.</font>
http://www.hornucopia.com/3830score/<br>
--=_alternative 005D275E85256ADA_=--