[RTTY] 80m from KH6

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] 80m from KH6
From: w0etc@ix.netcom.com (Larry Lindblom)
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 23:18:18 -0000
Walt I think this sort of backs up what you wrote. Here is the perspective
of someone who has worked a bunch of SSB tests over the past 38 yeas, and
has been a regular all night low band op from a multi op station.  On SSB
the KH6s start rolling into the Midwest (IA) on 40 around 0400 and on 80
around 0600.  In the SSB tests there is plenty of 40/80 activity to keep me
on the low bands and catch a KH6 during the EU openings.

But, my experience on RTTY (only 3+ years) is that there is much less
activity on 80.  Because of that I find myself apt to move to a busier band
or QRT sooner and miss you or whoever from KH6.  I might briefly go back to
80 to check for a mult, but often the activity level is so low that a minute
or two is all I'll spend.

More overall activity on 80 is probably the trick to having us there during
your opening.  Unfortunately QRN on 80 often makes it harder to copy an S-5
RTTY signal than and ESP SSB or CW signal. Possibly the decline in the SFI
will also quite down the low bands and push more activity on to 80.

73 from IA
W0ETC