[RTTY] SO2R

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] SO2R
From: aa5au@bellsouth.net (Don Hill AA5AU)
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 23:15:52 -0500
It's an interesting question but my thoughts are that in contests that
require consecutive serial numbers in the exchange, that consecutive
serial numbers be given.

Since we are talking about Single Op, 2 radio, this is not a simple
task, but it's not that difficult if you have the right software.  With
WriteLog, it's easy to give out consecutive serial numbers when running
SO2R on a single computer.

On 2 computers, it's a little harder to do, even with WriteLog.  First,
you must have the two computers networked so the log is on both
computers.  WriteLog will assign consecutive serial numbers over the
network, but at times, it is possible to get into a situation where you
have the same serial number in "queue" on both PC's.  When this happens,
there are several things you can do to make sure that the right serial
number is sent.  It's pretty involved and won't try to explain it here since
I've already done so on my WriteLog website.

To find out how to handle consecutive serial numbers with WriteLog
on 2 PC's over a LAN, check:
http://www.geocities.com/writelog/so2rserialnumber.html

However, after I wrote this, I discovered a better way to handle consecutive
serial numbers over a LAN by using %I in a separate buffer.  I have not
updated the page with this information but plan on doing so in the future.

I always try to send consecutive serial numbers.  I have accidentally sent the
same serial number to 2 different stations, or skipped a number, and I have no
idea if I was
ever penalized for doing so.  It's a good point.  I don't know if log checkers
deduct for such things but it's a good idea to make the serial numbers sent
consecutive.

73, Don AA5AU