RE: [RTTY] QSLS (was:Spring Break RTTY Sprint)

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [RTTY] QSLS (was:Spring Break RTTY Sprint)
From: "Scott Keating" <n4gva@aerog.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 13:43:21 -0500
I thought the LOTW seemed absurd when I first looked at it, but now I like
LOTW for several reasons:

(1) I don't lose my shirt on sending QSL cards.  According to eQSL's "My
Savings" I've racked up about $2000 in postage and card expenses since last
year.  I haven't cared to sit down and see if that's true or not, but I'd
rather spend $2000 in a new radio than cards *IF* I can get confirmations
electronically

(2) unlike eQSL it will only give you a QSL if the information you send
matches the information sent by the station you worked.  It isn't merely a
list of calls from people who confirm working you - it is an actual
confirmation that your log matches someone else's log.

(3) If I work a station on multiple bands and multiple modes I get
individual confirmations without having to deal with a stack of cards to
accomplish the same goal.  I've worked NN0G, for example, 7 times this year,
on 10m, 15m, 20m, and 40m - four confirmations for 5-band WAS out of the way
for Colorado right there.

Don't get me wrong, if someone takes the time to send me a card in the mail
I will take the time to return one, and would appreciate likewise (I still
send out cards, just not all the time).  I've got so many cards here now I
almost prefer LOTW QSLs, except for the obvious special event stations, etc.

Incidentally - I was recently berated on the air because I mentioned "QSL
via LOTW and eQSL is ok".  The gentleman on the other end of the keyboard
pounded out some of the nastiest, unfriendly text I've seen come across my
screen...finishing with "those services are going to destroy ham radio and
you're not a real ham".  Funny, I sent him a card in the mail anyway - still
haven't had one back from him.

73 - Scott, N4GVA