Re: [RTTY] AGC: on or off?

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] AGC: on or off?
From: Phil Florig <W9IXX@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 11:48:26 -0500
Hi all,

Tnx for all the great information here.

I have used basically the same setting as discussed here.

One caution that comes to mind, on the suggestion below, is that
if you are using the fixed audio out on the rear panel (Kenwoods here),
the audio level changes with adjusting the RF gain control.  I believe
that the ICOM also changes with the RF control..  So as you reduce the
RF gain the level reduces at that "fixed" output.  I leave the RF gain
to max here on RTTY.

Just a comment and agn tnx to all for the great comments/suggestions here.

73  Phil   W9IXX

At 11:02 1/31/2006, you wrote:
>Having read all the replies to this one, I'm not sure I agree with using FAST
>AGC (or at least the fastest) for RTTY.  I have found that I copy better
>with a
>medium-fast range AGC.  In the PRO III I have my AGC set to Medium (default
>value of .5 second) and it seems to work better than when using FAST (default
>value of .1 second).  I haven't experimented with other settings, but I will.
>In the '870 I use manual AGC and have the control set to the 3 o'clock
>position
>which is on the fast side but not the fastest.
>
>I have not experimented with turning AGC off while backing off the RF gain.
>Since I back off the RF gain when using the TPF in the PRO III and have
>started
>backing off the RF gain in the Kenwood, I will try this.
>
>Don AA5AU

Philip Florig           e-mail:pflorig@ieee.org
115 Horne Rd.               (or):W9IXX@arrl.net
Columbus, NC. 28722         amateur radio:W9IXX
USA                          MARS:AAM4NC/AAR4XX
     team member:AH1A-C6DX-CY0AA-J3A-KH8SI-VP2MX
        also:C6AXX-J3X-KH8/-T30,31,32,33P-VP2MPF
IPR Systems, Inc.           tel: 1-708-385-7500
11651 Mayfield Ave.         fax: 1-708-385-7515
Alsip, IL. 60803          email:info@iprsys.com
USA                              web:iprsys.com
    INDUSTRIAL POWER SUPPLIES & RECTIFIERS