[RTTY] luggable rtty station - summary

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] luggable rtty station - summary
From: Jeff Stai <jds@twistedoak.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:18:55 -0700
hi - thanks very much to everyone for the many great responses!!!

The votes were overwhelmingly in favor of the IC756ProIII. The band scope
(which I have never used) and the twin peak filter are especially intriguing.
The need for 12V supply means I might still be hauling around the same mass,
but at least in two parts with less desk space required. This is good.

Question: Is anyone using this rig with a switcher like the Astron SS-30 and
does it work OK?

Another concern is the roofing filter on the ProIII, being 15KHz. That seems
pretty wide. One of the best things I ever did was install the 4KHz InRad
roofing filter in the 1000Ds. Splatter problems from noisy nearby stations
(especially those dang robots) are simply a thing of the past. I am totally
spoiled by this. The recommendations I have received from top stations are
compelling, but I would sure like to understand how the ProIII does so well
with that wide of a filter. If I look at lab comparisons the ProIII is only
above average, but I understand there can be more to that picture.

Individual votes also for the TS-570DG and TS-850 and IC706 and IC746Pro, and a
suggestion to look at the IC7000. I think there was some discussion away from
the 746 here, which I tend to agree with. Also, I would shy away from the 706
because it is so small - I am not familiar with the rig but if things I want to
do quickly are buried in a menu system maybe I don't want that. I would have a
similar concern with the 7000 (along with the display size) until I know more
about it (but the price is nice!)

I am completely unfamiliar with the Kenwoods, but will keep them in mind. I
very much appreciate the recommendations. However, I am going to look into this
whole band scope thing first. I have had a couple discussions about that lately
and it seems worth looking into.

thanks again to everyone! - jeff wk6i

--
Jeff Stai               jds@twistedoak.com