[RTTY] SO2R

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] SO2R
From: <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 17:42:09 -0400
> Bill Turner wrote:
>
> >  Don, AA5AU, has been quoted as saying SO2R has a score advantage of
> >  about 40% or so. Don't you think that is significant? I do.

Since my name was brought into this, I'd thought I'd make a comment.  I'm not
sure where I came up with this 40% figure but I think Bill is accurate in that
I did a study of my logs before and after going SO2R, but I don't think that
figure is an accurate indication of what can be expected for everyone.

I think the first year I did the ARRL RTTY Roundup SO2R, my score increased
around 40%.  I wouldn't know how to accurately figure it now.  It would be
impossible I think.

The one comment on this SO2R subject I wanted to make is that I started SO2R in
an attempt to compete with stations with bigger and better antennas,
amplifiers, etc.  At the time I was using a vertical and 20M coaxial dipole
stapled to the ridge in the attic of a one story house.  It worked.  Using two
radios, I could compete and actually win.

Now winning doesn't mean that much to me any more.  I've won just about
everything there is to win.  I SO2R contest now just for the enjoyment.  The
original posting of this SO2R subject stated that contests should change their
rules and implement band change restrictions.  Band change restrictions are the
dumbest thing that could ever happen in a contest (especially NAQP).

Several contests have listened to the SO1R vs. SO2R argument and implemented
changes.  BARTG has the Expert class, for instance.  The Slovenian RTTY Contest
has band change restrictions for Single Ops I think.  Someone along this
discussion (might have been Bill) mentioned there should be an "unlimited"
class for contests.  I agree!  I've love to be able to transmit on three or
more radios at the same time!!!

And maybe there should be a separate category for Hurricane victims...

73, Don AA5AU