Re: [RTTY] SO2R

To: "'Robert Chudek - K0RC'" <k0rc@pclink.com>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] SO2R
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 21:14:20 -0400
K0RC wrote:

> That said, I would support SO1R and SO-multi-radio in separate
> classifications. There is no debate that having a second (or
> more) radio available is a signification advantage when all
> else is equal.

Unfortunately, everything else is not always equal.  AA5AU wrote
that he turned to SO2R to help overcome an antenna disadvantage.
Don does a superb job now but I don't think even Don would
consider his antenna farm to be equal to that of K4GMH (to pick
an example).

Each operator picks those tools, techniques and equipment that
best fit his situation.  One may use SO2R to make up for a less
than killer antenna farm ... another may choose big antennas over
power ... still another may choose to operate more hours (within
the rules) ... finally another may feel that a better receiver is
the best use of his resources.  Will some use all the options -
of course.  That's what puts them consistently at the top of the
"leader board."  It's no different than a golfer who has the very
best clubs money can buy, who lives in a country club community
in Florida so he can play every day of the year and who spends
a hours a day on the driving range videotaping and studying his
swing ... he will beat me every time we play but that doesn't
mean I won't have fun or do the best I can within my limitations
when I'm out there.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV