Re: [RTTY] SO2R

To: "'Robert Chudek - K0RC'" <k0rc@pclink.com>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] SO2R
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 23:49:20 -0400
Bob,

> What killer antenna system will give me a 40% scoring
> advantage? What legal power amplifier will give me a 40%
> scoring advantage? What better (single) receiver will give
> me a 40% scoring advantage?

We have a basic disagreement on the level of benefit from the
second radio.  AA5AU's experience is probably right in that
SO2R might provide a 40% benefit if one has a compromised
antenna system for example, Don's attic dipoles when he started
SO2R - or even a low tribander compared to the SteppIR stack
at K4GMH.

As the station (and operator) get better otherwise, better antennas,
more experience with propagation, more knowledge of the operating
habits of those rare multipliers who like to hang out in certain
out of the way places, SO2R becomes less of a defining factor.
Those operators who can command a frequency and have the rare
mults come to them see relatively little benefit (perhaps as
little as 5 - 10%) from the second radio.  That level of benefit
can easily be lost in the "noise" of geography, propagation,
weather related noise, etc.

> What is getting lost in the discussion is what the second
> radio *really* provides. Multiplexing. None of the other
> tools you mention provide multiplexing. SO2R is just like a
> duplex circuit which gives you more capacity (in a unit of
> time) compared to a simplex circuit.

That multiplexing works only up to the capacity of the terminal
end (the operator capability).  If the station is otherwise able
to generate rates (information flow) sufficient to keep the
operator fully utilized, SO2R doesn't add a thing.  Again, SO2R
is one more tool to increase the ability to increase the size
of the "pipe" but its just one more tool just like bigger antennas,
better transceivers, lower noise locations or even better skill.

> On the other hand, how long would you stay interested in playing
> golf when you knew *every* time you stepped on the course you
> would be buying the beers after the game was over?

I generally buy the beers when the game is over ... and I still
enjoy the game when I get the (infrequent) chance.

> Dividing SO1R and SO2R into separate classifications is clear
> in my mind.  Subdividing all the other tools is not.

To me SO2R is just one more tool in the toolbox ... it simply
allows the operator to make better use of the available resources
just like going from a vertical to a yagi or a single low yagi
to stacks. If you want to separate "advanced" tools, separate
*ALL* advanced tools ... if you just have to have "basic" and
"unlimited" classes, make that dividing line the vertical/low
dipole and single transceiver vs. gain antennas and multiple
receivers/transceivers.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV