Re: [RTTY] NO RTTY on 160m?

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] NO RTTY on 160m?
From: "Alex" <kr1st@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 15:01:07 +0000
  -------------- Original message from Steven Hunt <huntusa@comcast.net>:
--------------

> All right ... No one there for sure.

I had my dates mixed up. For some reason I thought the TARA test wouldn't be
until 24 hours into the 160 CW test. Ouch! I even checked if I could find a
spot around 1808, and it wasn't that hard.

I also noticed that CW activity died down very rapidly around 1880 kHz with
nothing above 1900 kHz, but that was after midnight local. In any case, I thing
this claim of wall to wall CW signals, with maybe an empty spot or two around
1990 to 2000 khz, is greatly exaggerated. I doubt that it was much different
before midnight.

> I found a spot on 1804.42 ... wide enough to not hear anyone w/my 300 Hz
> RTTY-Filter.

Right. I assume most CW ops use 250Hz filters during a contest, and since they
like to hear just signals coming back at them in the passband and not other
CQing stations, they space out their signals so you're bound to find spaces
that are wide enough to pass a RTTY signal throught.

73,
--Alex KR1ST
http://www.kr1st.com
http://www.airlinkexpress.org