Re: [RTTY] K3

To: <w0yk@msn.com>, "'Ian White GM3SEK'" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] K3
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 17:11:50 -0500

> > For 40m contesting in Europe, many weak and distant multipliers
> > can only be worked by beaming directly into a wall of extremely
> > strong QRM. If you want those mults, the receiver bandwidth must
> > be reduced to the minimum possible *AND* the receiver must
> > maintain a very high dynamic range at this narrow bandwidth.
> > The second part of this requirement is where the problems arise.
>
> Yes, but I'm surprised that a 260 Hz vs. a 370 Hz crystal
> filter will improve things noticeably.  I'll reserve final
> judgment, though, until I try it.  I never built up any 260
> or 280 Hz crystal filters because I didn't believe it would
> help.  At these minute differences other attributes of those
> strong signals will both you the same with either crystal filter.

The "interference window" ... that is the difference between the
250 Hz DSP bandwidth for RTTY and the -30 dB response point for
the roofing filter is very small.  Using measured values (the
500 Hz numbers are from the four filters in my two K3s, 8-pole
values are from http://www.elecraft.com/K3/K3_8_pole_plots.htm,
and the 260 Hz numbers are a combination of measurements of my
200 Hz filters with Ian's measurement of his "260 Hz" filter)
results in the following comparisons:

  Filter     -30 dB     "window"   Notes:
  500 Hz     775 Hz      262 Hz   Stock 5-pole
  400 Hz     520 Hz      135 Hz   KFL3A-400
  250 Hz     465 Hz      108 Hz   KFL3A-250
  200 Hz     520 Hz      135 Hz   Modified 260 Hz/5-pole

These values show the relatively small difference among the
four options ... and insignificant difference among the
three narrowest options ... if one assumes that -30dB is
sufficient protection for the hardware AGC/DSP.  The
additional selectivity would not appear to be sufficient
to make any difference in IMD DR3 since the "window" on
each side of the DSP passband would not accommodate even
one complete RTTY signal.

Based on this data, the "400 Hz" filter might be a good
all around choice for RTTY with the (unmodified) 200 Hz
filter as a narrow option for CW (or critical PSK31) use.
A 1000/400 Hz filter combination might be a better choice
than the 400/250 Hz option for any user who is primarily
interested in digital/RTTY modes.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV