Re: [RTTY] Amertiron ALS-1300

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Amertiron ALS-1300
From: Ben Antanaitis - WB2RHM <wb2rhm@wb2rhm.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 09:31:57 -0400
Bill,

I run an ALS-1300 in HP RTTY contests, I specifically asked Hy-Gain tech support about power limits, they advised running 500 - 600 watts at most in RTTY mode (that advice, only run at 50% applies to any of the Hy-Gain No-Tune FET amps, the ALS-600s and the ALS-500s). It can hit the limit, but the 4 muffin fans inside start whining and pumping out very warm/hot air, and after a short bit, the internal thermal protection circuit cuts the amp off an it runs pass-thru till things cool down again (requiring a manual reset). I don't know if more powerful fans, externally mounted, would let me run longer at full output, but that is risking $800 - $900 of FET replacement cost for what? one or two S-units? 500-600 wts cuts a path to anywhere in the world for me. But, overall, the ALS-1300 is a sweet piece of equipment, I have designed an automatic band switcher circuit for my Orion that makes using it totally transparent during contesting or DXing. One thing to pay attention to, though, is the depth of the case. It won't fit on a 12" book shelf without sticking out several inches.

73,
Ben - WB2RHM