SD-User

[SD-User] WPX comments

To: <sd-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [SD-User] WPX comments
From: "Brian Summers" <summersb@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 17:54:59 -0700
Hi Paul:

I spent several hours in the contest and have the following
observations/comments using V14.03 and Winkey.

1. 'Beep' for a dupe. When S&P'ing I'm looking at the radio to see where I am
in terms of frequency whilst tuning the band. If I hear someone CQ'ing I then
take my eyes off the radio and enter the call via the keyboard. ('Cause I'm not
a touch typist!). To see if it's a dupe I then have to take my eyes of the
keyboard and look at the monitor. And then back to the keyboard. Is there
anyway the software can cause a beep to let me know it's a dupe?

2. Whilst cq'ing there were a few occasions ( not many really) when the machine
would not stop sending, necessitating the Esc key to stop.

3. There is a delay when using the function keys. As an example, I've responded
to someone who is CQ'ing. He gives me a RST S/N which I enter and my machine
immediately sends him an RST S/N. If he asks for a repeat and I use F6 or F7
there's a one second or so delay before the machine responds. A similar thing
happens in Run mode. Most disconcerting!

4. There were numerous occasions when I would lose the link to my radio and the
radio display would momentarily flash. There doesn't seem to be any way I can
repeat at will so I can only describe the effect. I'd be tuning across the band
in S&P mode and would notice on the monitor that where 'My Call' is shown it
was no longer there, and just below  was 599 with an underscore below the first
9. There would no frequency shown. Changing band on the radio didn't correct it
and the only way to recover seemed to be by the minus key. Sometimes whilst
tuning I would notice the frequency readout on my radio momentarily blank and
then I'd see the effect described. But I can't say for sure there was a flash
on my radio display every time the link was lost. In Run mode I'm primarily on
one freq of course, but there would be times I'd be tuning the band looking for
a clear frequency but the link loss did not occur even once. Changing linktimes
and polltimes from min to max and in between
  had no effect.

This was my third contest with SD and I'm still learning of course. Hope you
can help me with the above, Paul.

73, Brian VE7JKZ