[SECC] Tower - At 44 feet.

Subject: [SECC] Tower - At 44 feet.
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 21:20:59 -0400
There it stands. My dad and I put the top section on tonight. It tops 44
feet.

My pulse races every time I come above the roof line. The tower is a lot
more steady with the upper bracket, but even though I KNOW it should be
strong enough, it's hard to be up there wobbling around.

While I was up there, I gave serious thought to quitting and finding or
hiring someone to do the rest of the work. Then I got down to the
business of raising the top section. While I was working, it wasn't so
scary.

Still, it took all I could muster to clumb up and undo the sling. That's
still just below the rotator shelf.

I still have to raise the gin pole, assemble and raise the antennas,
install the rotator, cables, etc.

Does climbing ever get easier?

--

Based on how things have worked out, I'm considering using a shorter
mast. This 9' mast is nice, but I didn't get all the reinforcement into

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901