[SECC] SS from GA and the East Coast

Subject: [SECC] SS from GA and the East Coast
From: aldermant at alltel.net (Tommy)
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 19:01:38 -0500
I don't think the actual contest has very much to do with it, but I
certainly do agree (in part) with 'location-location-location'!

When I lived in Virginia, my QTH was near the highest point in the metro
Washington DC area. I had a 60' hill in my back yard that had 110' tall
maple trees on it, and the hill elevation was 460' ASL. the hill sloped down
due north. This was a 'location' where the proverbial 'wet-noodle' would
really perform. At one time I had a 3-el 40m quad in the trees on the top of
that hill and could work Asia during the afternoon. The other antenna was a
plain 80m dipole, one end being in the very top of the tallest tree on the
top of that hill. The wire sloped down the hill maintaining 70' ground
elevation, due north. On 15m, the radiation lobe split, going both NE and
NW. I worked JA mobiles and QRP 5 watter's on 15m. Contesting was FUN. I
have the exact opposite here in south Georgia!

Both N4PN and K4BAI are excellent, seasoned contest veterans and it really
doesn't matter too much, what location they have, they are going to maximize
the capability of that station, no matter what the 'location' parameters
are. Both of these guys are just plain 'damn' good contest operators (please
excuse the word 'plain'!).

So I would modify the statement to be 'excellent contest operators AND
location-location-location' and then bring on just about ANY contest.

Tom - W4BQF

As Paul N4PN and John K4BAI know its hard to compete (for top 10 spots) in
either the CW or SSB SS from GA. There have been exceptions such as W4KFC
and W9IOP but generally W5/6 and 7 are better spots. From W5 you can work W1

to VA and W8/W9/W0 all day on say 20 and then work west later in the day.

Lately KP4 seems to be a good place to make a run at the top score.

This bias used to really upset the ARRL HQ gang as they wanted a W1 to win
it all one day.

Not to say that a good score is not possible from GA (W4ATL made the high LP

SSB score several years ago) and N4PN and K4BAI have great scores each year
(this year included).

Its just location location.  Now the Dx contests are different!

Dave K4JRB